Catch me if you can...

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ireland!

Everyone in Ireland is so nice!

Got here on Monday and stayed with family in Dublin. Dublin is nice, enough attractions to keep you occupied but I really wasn't feeling too much Irish culture.

Until I got to County Sligo. I stayed with a relative and she lives on the land that my Great Grandfather was born on. Needless to say, I woke up one morning, looked out the window and there was a cow staring back at me. Moo... I even got a cow kiss on my hand! They have really wet noses and icky tongues. Went to "town" where EVERYBODY knows EVERYBODY! It's insane! Not only that, everybody knew that I was coming! People were great and I met so many people that SOMEHOW I'm related to. Ah, town life. Still, I really enjoyed living like a real Irish girl for a few days, and saw so many beautiful sights of the countryside.

People here are obsessed with Gaelic football and hurling. If you're curious, google it, but these are two very unusual sports. Wish Co. Sligo good luck in the football match this weekend!

One interesting thing about the Irish: (hi dad!) the men always drive. I mean a lot of the women are self sufficient and drive their own cars, but when a man's in the car, he drives. I guess they're a little old fashioned in that sense.
The women always cook, of course. Here's how I really don't fit in tho: they LOVE their potatoes and tea, both of which I'm not a really big fan of (tho they're both growing on me). Every time people ask if I want tea and I decline they look at me like I'm crazy!

County Mayo was great too, I stayed with a friend of the family in Castlebar. She took me around the county and to this big pilgrimage site called Knock. Apparently some locals saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary with St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist there in 1879 (i'm hitting them all up, katie). But the whole area is surrounded by TACKY giftshops. So kitsch, but I guess they have to make money so far. Miracles are really good for the economy. Went to Mass there (I've really been making up for my lack of Jesus in Jordan) and they had Annointing of the Sick where all of the old people who thought they might die soon came up to get a special blessing. LOL, for insurance purposes I guess.

On my way to the Connemara region which is supposed to be beautiful, then on Friday I'm meeting up with the world famous Joseph P. Wilson (shout out!) and we're going to climb the famed Croagh Patrick!

Yay for Ireland.

1 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger ktreilly said...

I don't understand how one could not like potatoes and tea. You must be the milkman's daughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home