Catch me if you can...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

uk recap

In Dublin now chillin w/some pretty cool relatives.

A few notes about England/Scotland:
People in Scotland say aye for yes... like a pirate!
People here love "jacket potatoes". there is even a potato restaurant at the food court in the mall. On your french fries (chips) you can put ketchup, mayo or "brown sauce" (hp) and I have sampled all and can appreciate the qualities of each one.
Lemonade here pretty much means Sprite.
Big Brother England is the biggest thing on reality tv and the cast is full of weirdos (one guy even has Turrette's... not sure how to spell that).

My first night in London we went to a pub where we watched the World Cup game between England and Sweden. There were many rowdy boys wearing the English flag around them, faces painted, etc singing lots of songs (i'm english til i die... ). It was a tie game, but an interesting way to start off my trip here. Hmmm, those Brits and their "football".

After 6 weeks in the Middle East, I finally got sick after 3 days in England. Several vomit false alarms, so luckily I never puked but I was constantly running to the bathroom to stand over the toilet. I blame on a product called Jelly Babies? They're like gummy bears, but who the heck came up w/the name Jelly Babies?

In Edinburgh we saw the castle and statue of Greyfriars Bobby (the little dog). We also went on a ghost tour where they said that Greyfriars Bobby was not really mourning over his master at the cemetary, he was actually eating the bodies that floated up from the rain... yeah thanx lady for ruining all of my childhood memories...

Ran into a Gator in Edinburgh... yeah literally ran into him. I was wearing Gator jacket, he was wearing Gator hat. We stared at each other and said Go Gators! and moved on.

The people at the hostel in Edinburgh were really nice. It's interesting to hear everyone's story. We stayed 2 nights and most people came and went, although a couple of people actually LIVE at the hostel.

Went to church finally! Yay, altho they felt it was ok to skip the 2nd reading. And I didn't know any of the hymns... but still it was nice to go... though I was definitely the youngest person there.

On Sunday, I spent a penny at the bus station... actually 20 pence, but can you believe the economic benefits of charging to use the toilets? I guess I had to do it once, but it costs just as much to make a phone call. Now I have to strategize my uses of public toilets so I can use only the free ones.

The hostel I stayed at Sunday night ended up getting really creepy at night. The shower especially reminded me of something from Friday the 13th... So I locked myself in my room and wrote in my journal all night.

Looking forward to Ireland!

1 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger jgamb said...

I love your list at the beginning of this post, and I am completely jealous that you got to watch that game in a pub in London! And your gator experience sounds like that commercial... you should have said "go save humanity" or "go to a pub" and I would have laughed.

Dont shower in Friday the 13th showers, in fact, just dont shower at all, its not good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home